Congratulatory Letter to the newly elected President of Ukraine
On the 1st of May 2019, President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov has sent a congratulatory letter to the newly elected President of Ukraine Vladimir Aleksandrovich Zelenskiy on his election to the high state post.
President Ilham Aliyev shares twitter post over attack on Azerbaijan’s embassy in Iran
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev has shared a twitter post over the treacherous attack on the embassy of Azerbaijan in Tehran.
“I strongly condemn a terrorist act committed today against our embassy in Tehran. I express deep condolence to the family and relatives of senior lieutenant Askarov Orkhan Rizvan oğlu killed while ensuring the security of the embassy and its employees. We demand the soonest investigation into the terrorist act and punishment of the terrorists. The terrorist attack on the diplomatic mission is unacceptable!” the post reads.
EU agrees extra €500 million of military support for Ukraine
The Foreign Council of the European Union reached political agreement for a 7th tranche of military support to Ukraine worth €500 million.
The Council also agreed on an additional assistance measure worth €45 million for the Ukrainian forces being trained by the EU’s military training mission, EUMAM Ukraine. This brings the total military support under the European Peace Facility to €3.6 billion. According to EU High Representative Josep Borrell, the EU’s military, financial, economic and humanitarian support for Ukraine has now reached nearly €50 billion.
Before the Council discussed Russia’s aggression against Ukraine, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba addressed EU foreign ministers via video conference and briefed them on recent developments on the ground and on Ukraine’s current priorities.
Regarding the creation of an accountability mechanism, EU foreign ministers stressed the importance of preserving the crucial role of the International Criminal Court in international criminal justice and expressed broad support for the establishment of the International Prosecutor’s Office in The Hague as a first step.
Regarding the effectiveness of sanctions, Josep Borrell noted that Russian oil (Urals) sells for US $40 a barrel while Brent sells for US$80. “This means that the Russian oil is being sold at a discount of 50%, and it is being bought by mainly India and China,” said Borrell. “So, it is losing US$40 per barrel. It is a big hit on Russia’s financial stability.”
Find out more
EU to disburse first €3 billion of the €18 billion macro-financial support to Ukraine
Today, the European Union will disburse the first €3 billion of the €18 billion macro-financial support agreed in December. This was announced by the President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen.
“Helping Ukraine meet its financing needs to face the Russian aggression is both crucial and urgent,” von der Leyen wrote on Twitter. “The Commission is acting with utmost speed and determination.”
The aim of this emergency assistance is to provide short-term financial relief, financing Ukraine’s immediate needs, rehabilitation of critical infrastructure and initial support towards sustainable post-war reconstruction, with a view to supporting Ukraine on its path towards European integration. The loans will have a 10-year grace period.
Find out more
EU to extend sanctions against Belarus and Iran for supporting Russian war against Ukraine, says von der Leyen
The European Union will extend its sanctions, announced in response to Russian aggression against Ukraine, to those who militarily support Russia’s war, such as Belarus or Iran. This was announced by the Head of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, at a press conference today following the signing of the Third EU-NATO Joint Declaration on Cooperation.
“The European Union will keep doing everything in its power to support the brave people of Ukraine. We will keep the pressure on the Kremlin for as long as it takes with the biting sanctions regime,” said von der Leyen. “We will be coming forward with new sanctions on Belarus answering Belarus’ role in this Russian war in Ukraine.”
She also confirmed that the EU will continue its “substantial humanitarian economic and Security Assistance to Ukraine as long as it is necessary”.
Find out more
President of Turkmenistan and President of PRC signed a package of bilateral documents by the outcome of talks
In Beijing, by the outcome of talks, President of Turkmenistan Serdar Berdimuhamedov and President of PRC Xi Jinping signed a package of bilateral documents.
Leaders of the two states signed the Joint Statement of Turkmenistan and the People’s Republic of China.
The following documents were also signed:
- Memorandum of cooperation between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China for 2023-2024;
- Protocol on introduction of amendments to the Agreement between the Government of Turkmenistan and the Government of the People’s Republic of China on establishment of the Turkmen-Chinese Cooperation Committee on August 29, 2008;
- Memorandum of mutual understanding between the Government of Turkmenistan and the Government of the People’s Republic of China on facilitation of investment cooperation in digital economy;
- Memorandum of mutual understanding between the Government of Turkmenistan and the Government of the People’s Republic of China on facilitation of investment cooperation in green development;
- Memorandum of mutual understanding between the Government of Turkmenistan and the Government of the People’s Republic of China on connection of the “Revival of the great Silk Road” and “One Belt One Road” international initiatives;
- Plan of cooperation between the Ministry of Culture of Turkmenistan and the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of the People’s Republic of China for 2023-2026;
- News Exchange and Cooperation Agreement between the State News Agency of Turkmenistan and Xinhua News Agency of the of the People’s Republic of China;
- Memorandum of understanding on mutual cooperation between the State News Agency of Turkmenistan and People's Daily (People’s Republic of China);
- Memorandum of cooperation in information and news between the State Committee for Television, Radio Broadcasting and Cinematography of Turkmenistan and the China Media Group;
- Actions Plan in the field of healthcare between the Ministry of Health and Medical Industry of Turkmenistan and the National Health Commission of the People's Republic of China for 2023-2027;
- Memorandum of cooperation between the National Olympic Council of Turkmenistan and the Chinese Olympic Committee;
- Memorandum of mutual understanding between State Committee of Turkmenistan on Physical Culture and Sports and the General Administration of Sport of the People’s Republic of China on cooperation in sports;
- Memorandum of mutual understanding between «Türkmengaz» State Concern and the China National Petroleum Corporation on cooperation in gas sphere;
- Memorandum of mutual understanding between the International Oil and Gas University named after Yagshygeldi Kakayev (Turkmenistan) and China National Petroleum Corporation (People’s Republic of China);
- Memorandum of cooperation between the Turkmen state university named after Magtymguly (Turkmenistan) and Beijing Foreign Studies University (People’s Republic of China).