“ENTERING THE GOLDEN AGE OF VIDEO”
SES organized press meeting to highlight the importance of Linear TV and Ultra HD as a key drivers of entertainment
TBILISI, 6 December 2017 – a world-leading satellite operator SES organized a meeting for Georgian media representatives -“Entering the Golden Age of Video”, to discuss the role and position of the TV in modern entertainment industry, main tendencies of millenials in regards of TV/video viewing experience and Ultra HD. The Meeting was held at the hotel “Biltmore Tbilisi”, which was attended by up to 10 leading media representatives.
The speaker of the meeting was:
- Nils-Filip Abrahamsson - Business Development Manager, Nordic, Baltic & Eastern Europe
Major notes from the speech of SES representative, Mr. Nils-Filip Abrahamsson:
- Video market is thriving with:
- Content consumption exploding
- Increased interest in HD
- Digital TV homes yet to come
- Ericsson Consumer Lab informs that percentage of consumers that watch any type of TV/Video content in different situation on a weekly basis is increasing from year to year;
- Percentage of consumers that watch any type of TV/video at home during the day has been almost doubled since 2013 (from 39% in 2013 to 67% in 2016). The highest percentage of consumers watch TV/video at home and mostly in the evening – 93%. The overall content consumption in different situations has also increased by 13-18%;
- Linear TV is being watched by all, including Millennials – time spent on watching linear TV by millennials is about 45% of total watching time (34 hrs per week), while 35+ age people spend 65% of their total watching time (28 hrs per week;
- Based on 11 markets across Europe, USA and Brazil - TV remains Key Form of entertainment in the evening - People mostly watch TV, when home during the evening;
- Ampere Analysis show that 95% of video revenue globally is based on TV;
- Consumers look for TV packages that offer both linear TV and OTT - the winning strategy according to SES is: Offering TV packages with both linear TV and OTT – “HD drives TV revenue”;
- SES have 1 billion viewers, operates in 325 million homes with 7,741 TV channels, 2,587 HDTV channels and 31 Ultra HD channels. Also SES operates with 40+ DTH platforms;
- Since 2012 SES video TV channels increased by 39% (HD +69%; SD +39%);
- SES is a worldwide leader having 83 Ultra HD channels globally and offering 34 UHD channels via satellites all over the world;
- It is forecasted that the number of UHD channels will increase by 33.7% annually.
- SES is delivering VoD services to underserved and unserved areas with limited broadband connectivity with more capabilities at cost-efficient prices.
SES is the world-leading satellite operator and the first to deliver a differentiated and scalable GEO-MEO offering worldwide, with more than 50 satellites in Geostationary Earth Orbit (GEO) and 12 in Medium Earth Orbit (MEO). SES focuses on value-added, end-to-end solutions in two key business units: SES Video and SES Networks. The company provides satellite communications services to broadcasters, content and internet service providers, mobile and fixed network operators, governments and institutions. SES’s portfolio includes ASTRA, O3b and MX1, a leading media service provider that offers a full suite of innovative digital video and media services. SES is listed on the Euronext Paris and Luxembourg Stock Exchange (ticker: SESG). Further information available at: www.ses.com