The Statement by the Government of the Republic of Korea on the DPRK’s Fifth Nuclear Test
1. The DPRK conducted its fifth nuclear test on September 9, 2016, in Punggye-ri, North Hamgyong Province.
2. Despite the clear warnings sent again by the international community at the G20 Summit and East Asia Summit, the DPRK conducted another nuclear test since 2016 in flagrant violation of relevant UN Security Council resolutions. The ROK government strongly condemns such a grave provocation, which must not be condoned.
3. The DPRK regime is continuing its dangerous provocations, focusing solely on the advancement of its nuclear and missile capabilities while completely ignoring the poor human rights situation of its people and their livelihood. However, the DPRK regime must clearly realize that it has nothing to gain from such behavior. The more reckless provocations the DPRK conducts, the stronger international sanctions and more severe diplomatic isolation it will face, leading to the collapse of its economy and eventually self-destruction.
4. The ROK government again strongly calls on the DPRK to immediately abandon its nuclear weapons and missile programs in a complete, verifiable and irreversible manner. The ROK government will continue to cooperate with the international community and make all the necessary efforts to seek much tougher sanctions at the UN Security Council and bilateral levels.
5. Furthermore, the ROK government will maintain a high readiness posture against any further provocation by the DPRK which threatens the safety of the ROK and the lives of its people and will demonstrate an unwavering response.