ISIL took responsibility for Orlando massacre

Published in World
Monday, 13 June 2016 14:45

ISIS claimed responsibility for the mass shooting attack in an Orlando gay club on Sunday that left at least 50 people dead.“The attack that targeted a nightclub for homosexuals in Orlando, Florida, and that left more than 100 dead and wounded was carried out by an Islamic State fighter,” the group said in a report on its official Amaq news agency. The message was attributed to an unnamed “source” and distributed over the Telegram messaging app on Sunday afternoon. On Monday, an ISIS-run radio station also labeled the man identified as the shooter, Omar Mateen, as “one of the soldiers of the caliphate in America.”
The claim comes after law-enforcement officials quoted by multiple news organizations, including NBC News and the New York Times said the suspected shooter, Omar Mateen, called 911 before the attack in order to swear his allegiance to ISIS. Speaking at a news conference in Orlando on Tuesday afternoon, an FBI official confirmed that Mateen had made a call to 911, but did not indicate the content of the call. A security company, G4S, said Sunday that Mateen had been employed there since 2007, adding that it was “shocked and saddened” by the shooting. “We are cooperating fully with all law-enforcement authorities,” the company said.
The claims underline a pattern in which ISIS seeks to inspire sympathizers to carry out attacks — with or without operational support from the group — and then claims responsibility for the carnage after the fact. In such plots, the connection to ISIS as a central organization may exist only in the attacker’s mind, but the resulting violence is no less lethal.
Declarations of allegiance to ISIS and its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi have been a hallmark of past attacks by jihadist sympathizers, including the San Bernardino, Calif., shooting in December. One of the two shooters in the Garland, Texas, shooting in May 2015 indicated support for ISIS in a post on Twitter just before the attack.
The mass shooting at the Pulse nightclub on Sunday came weeks after a top ISIS official issued a call for attacks throughout the world during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, which began on June 6.
In an audio recording released on May 22, ISIS spokesman Abu Muhammad al-Adnani called for “a month of calamity everywhere for the non-believers,” saying his appeal was “especially for the fighters and supporters of the caliphate in Europe and America.”
In the recording attributed to al-Adnani, he specifically focused on ISIS supporters who are no longer able to reach ISIS-held territory in Iraq and Syria and join the so-called caliphate. The message seems geared toward inspiring “lone wolves” — attackers who are inspired by ISIS but may have no organizational ties with the group whatsoever.
“The smallest action you do in their heartland is better and more enduring to us than what you would if you were with us. If one of you hoped to reach the Islamic State, we wish we were in your place to punish the Crusaders day and night,” Adnani was quoted as saying.
Ramadan — a holy month of dawn-to-dusk fasting, prayer and reflection — is observed by Muslims worldwide. But militant groups including both ISIS and al-Qaeda have used Ramadan as a pretext to ramp up attacks and gain attention. A recent report from the Washington-based Institute for the Study of War argues that ISIS is seeking to use Ramadan “as an occasion to reorient its strategy” with attacks both in its core arena of operations in Iraq and Syria and abroad.
source: time.com

Read 867 times

Related items

  • Interview: U.S. fails to draw lesson from wars, Princeton scholar says

    GENEVA, Dec. 8 (Xinhua) -- The United States has not learned the proper lesson from its failed wars, Richard Falk, emeritus professor of international law at Princeton University, told Xinhua in a recent interview via video link.

    Falk had first-hand experience visiting wartime Vietnam in 1968, which led him to question the lawfulness and the legitimacy of U.S. wars abroad.

    "When I had the opportunity to visit Hanoi and meet some of the leaders there and see the effects of a high technology war machine being used against a peasant society that was trying to establish its own right of self-determination, it changed my understanding fundamentally," he recalled.

    The United States, rather than learning the lesson of the Vietnam War, has repeated the mistake time and again, according to Falk.

    "The U.S., ever since its defeat in Vietnam, despite having overwhelming military superiority, has failed to learn the basic lesson that military intervention is not an effective geopolitical tool," the renowned scholar explained, adding that the U.S. military adventures in the Middle East have further discredited "regime-changing interventions followed by prolonged occupations and state-building undertakings in the post-colonial period."

    The empirical record, Falk stressed, "suggests that excessive reliance of American foreign policy on the military instrument was a consequence of retaining a quasi-war posture ever since World War II."

    "The U.S. became a very militarized state bureaucracy with a high peacetime military budget, and this led it to consistently exaggerate security threats, coupled with the related claim that military approaches to foreign policy challenges continued to be effective," he commented.

    Despite the preaching of the virtues of a "rules-based international order" in the current U.S. administration's foreign policy prescriptions, such an affirmation "certainly doesn't seem to mean respect for international law," Falk pointed out.

    "It seems to mean that others will be held accountable if they depart from U.S. perceptions of what rules should govern," he added. "But it leaves the U.S. itself in a position of pursuing its geopolitical ambitions without any kind of visible respect for the limits set by international law or the UN (United Nations) Charter."

    By Xu Chi

  • US Military Equipment and Military to participate in Noble Partner 2018 already in Georgia

    US military equipment which was sent from Port of Constanța, Romania to participate in the multinational exercise “Noble Partner 2018” has already shipped to Georgia. US armored vehicles “Stryker”, armored vehicles “Bradley”, M1A2 Abrams tanks and other military equipment have already downloaded in Poti Port, Georgia. The part of the equipment will be transferred to Vaziani by lorry, part of it – itself by marching.   

    US military equipment were loaded in Port of Constanța, Romania and launched for Georgia via the Black Sea on July 22. 

    Military personnel of II Cavalry Regiment have already arrived to Tbilisi International Airport via air. The part of US soldiers will arrive to Georgia up to July 31 stage by stage.    

    The multinational exercise will officially be opened in Vaziani military airfield on August 1. “Noble Partner 2018” is a Georgian Armed Forces and US Army Europe led exercise, which intends to enhance participating nations’ readiness and interoperability.

  • US Vice President arrives in Tbilisi

    Vice President of the United States Mike Pence arrived in Tbilisi. Prime Minister of Georgia Giorgi Kvirikashvili and his spouse Maka Tsinadze greeted the Vice President and his spouse Karen Pence. The official meeting ceremony was held at the Tbilisi Shota Rustaveli International Airport.

    Today the Prime Minister will host the US Vice President, his spouse and the members of the American delegation at an official dinner.
    The US Vice President was invited to Georgia by Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili. Respective visit is held within the frames of Pence's first European tour.

  • Ultra HD Gains Momentum in the US with 30 Pay TV Providers Testing 4K Delivery on SES’s Platform

    Nine more US cable and IPTV operators have initiated Ultra HD trials using SES’s pre-packaged solution

    LUXEMBOURG, 24 July 2017 – With an additional nine TV operators joining SES’s Ultra HD trials, a total of 30 US Pay TV providers, with a combined audience of more than 10 million subscribers, are now testing SES’s 4K content delivery platform across their distribution networks.

    The latest wave of Pay TV system operators to ink Ultra HD trial agreements with SES includes:

    • Alliance Communications, an Internet, phone and cable TV operator serving subscribers in South Dakota and Minnesota;
    • Cincinnati Bell, a leading telco in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky;
    • Douglas County Community Network, an ultra-high-speed broadband and IPTV provider in the state of Washington;
    • Hotwire, a national telecom provider;
    • Midco, a regional provider of triple play services in North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Kansas;  
    • Midwest Video Solutions (MVS), a multi-service provider in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois;
    • Oneida Telephone Exchange, a triple play service provider operating in Oneida, Illinois and Rio, Illinois;
    • Skitter TV, a national IPTV systems innovator; and
    • South Dakota Networks (SDN), an enabler of IPTV for 19 telcos in South Dakota.

    Among the 30 operators on SES’s 4K platform, three have already initiated commercial linear Ultra HD services in subscriber homes via SES’s end-to-end solution: Marquette-Adams Communications in Wisconsin, Highlands Cable Group in North Carolina, and, most recently, EPB Fiber Optics in Chattanooga, Tennessee.  

    SES’s all-in-one Ultra HD platform combines satellite distribution services, reception gear, and the world’s largest 4K Ultra HD channel line-up, featuring Fashion One 4K, Travelxp 4K, 4KUNIVERSE, NASA TV UHD, INSIGHT TV, UHD1, C4K360, Funbox UHD, Nature Relaxation 4K and SES’s UHD demonstration channel.

    “The turnkey SES Ultra HD platform is home to some of the largest and smallest cable and IPTV providers in the region, who are leveraging the scalability and reliability of satellite to differentiate themselves in a competitive market with the ultimate television experience.” said Steve Corda, Vice President of Business Development at SES Video, SES’s global media business unit. “Momentum continues to build as SES accelerates the delivery and commercial availability of Ultra HD services throughout North America, and we expect more cable and IPTV providers to join the trio of operators who have already launched their commercial Ultra HD services using our platform.”

    “Hotwire is well positioned to be the first to market with exciting new Ultra HD services later this year, as a result of our Ultra HD trials with SES,” said Jonathan Bullock, Vice President of Corporate Development and Government at Hotwire Communications. “The SES Ultra HD platform is easy and fast to deploy on our all-fiber network, allowing us to provide the best 4K channel line-up virtually overnight.”

    “SES’s Ultra HD solution is tailor-made to meet our subscribers’ demand for the best television experience available and our strong desire to be among the first to market with the world’s leading 4K offering,” said Michael Agostinelli, CEO at Skitter. “Skitter now has a clear competitive advantage as we make an exciting leap toward a commercial launch of Ultra HD services in our customers’ homes.”

     

     

     

  • President Trump Congratulates President Margvelashvili on the 25th Anniversary of Georgia-US Diplomatic Relations

    Dear Mr. President,
    On the 25th anniversary of our countries’ diplomatic relations, I extend to you and the Georgian people my warmest wishes and sincere appreciation for our longstanding friendship and cooperation.
    In the first quarter century of our partnership, the United States and Georgia have established a strong trans-Atlantic bond. We share common values, and have stood together under difficult circumstances to defend those values against international terrorism and regional instability. The United States supports Georgia’s sovereignty and territorial integrity within its internally recognized borders. We also recognize Georgia’s right to chart its own future. Georgian independence and democracy remain an aspiration to the world.
    My Administration and I look forward to future collaboration with you and the Georgian government to advance the shared values and prosperity of our two countries.
    Sincerely,
    Donald J. Trump

Business News

Silk Road Tbilisi Forum 2015 has started

Silk Road Tbilisi Forum 2015 has started

Silk Road Tbilisi 2015 forum started today. Following the success of the inaugural Routes Silk Road...

Agreement between SES and GEE

Agreement between SES and GEE

A new multi-year agreement was signed between worldwide satellite operator SES and Global Eagle Ente...

International Year of Soils in Georgia

International Year of Soils in Georgia

The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Swiss Cooperation Office in the South Caucasus and ...

New Official Exchange Rate - 1 USD Equals 2.4051 GEL

New Official Exchange Rate - 1 USD Equals 2.4051 GEL

According to the new official exchange rate set by National Bank of Georgia, 1 US Dollar equals 2.40...

MOST READ

« January 2022 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31            

About

The News Agency,
NEWSDAY.GE is
a part of STARVISION
Media Group.
It made its first
appearance on the Internet..More

 

Contact

NEWSDAY Ltd.
Lechkhumi street.43

Georgia,Tbilisi

Phone: (+995 32) 257 91 11
E-mail: avtandil@yahoo.com

 

 

 

Social Media